For a patient to receive medical cannabis, the law requires that a licensed health care practitioner certify that the patient has one or more of the qualifying conditions. A health care practitioner is defined as a Minnesota-licensed doctor of medicine, a Minnesota-licensed physician assistant acting within the scope of authorized practice, or a Minnesota-licensed advanced practice registered nurse who has primary responsibility for care and treatment of the patient’s qualifying medical condition.
Estimated Patient Count: 6,886 according to the Minnesota Department of Health
What are the conditions that qualify for a medical marijuana recommendation?
- Cancer associated with severe/chronic pain, nausea
- or severe vomiting, or cachexia or severe wasting.
- Tourette Syndrome.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
- Seizures, including those characteristic of Epilepsy.
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including
- those characteristic of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease.
- Terminal illness, with a probable life expectancy of less than one year
- Intractable pain
How much cannabis can a patient possess?
- Patients can possess a 30-day supply of non-combustible cannabis extract
What are the fees associated with a medical recommendation in Minnesota?
- Annual Registration Fee: $200
- Patients on Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability, Medicaid, MNCare, IHS or CHAMPVA are eligible for the reduced fee: $50.00
Patient Program Home
The patient may indicate that she or he would like a caregiver(s) assistance with the medical cannabis. If his or her health care practitioner agrees, the health care practitioner will check the box in the patient’s account allowing for a caregiver.
Once certified, the patient will have the opportunity to enter contact information for the caregiver, including email.
At that point, the caregiver will receive an invitation to set up his or her own account, including:
- Name, address & phone number
- Government-issued ID: state ID, driver’s license, or passport (scan or photo from phone).
- Background check application form and fee
- Designated Caregiver Background Check Informed Consent (PDF)
Upon completion of the caregiver submitting the online registration via an email link that is sent to them, and mailing the completed background form and payment to the proper address; the caregiver will be notified by email once he or she has passed the background check. At that time he or she will be able to assist the patient in obtaining and dispensing medical cannabis. The caregiver will be asked for proof of identity at the Cannabis Patient Center when picking up their patient’s medical cannabis.
What are the fees associated with becoming a Caregiver?
Caregiver Program Homepage
Manufacturers, sometimes called cultivators or growers, are responsible for producing and processing medical cannabis. There are 2 active manufacturers in Minnesota, the state has not indicated if or when more manufacturing licenses will become available.
What kind of tracking system do I need to operate a Manufacturer Facility?
Most states require an extensive seed-to-sale cannabis tracking system to monitor cultivation efforts and inventory. Our cultivation seed-to-sale-tracking solution provides comprehensive data tracking with an emphasis on compliance. Customized to meet the unique regulatory frameworks in each state, BioTrackTHC also features an all-in-one business tool to help you operate every aspect of the cultivation business by itself, or as part of the vertically-integrated cannabis business.
Click here for a list of Manufactures
There are 8 locations, known as Patient Centers, that serve as distribution centers for Manufactures. The state has not indicated if or when more Patient Centers will become available.
What kind of point-of-sale do I need to operate a Patient Center?
Most states require dispensaries to track and trace all of their cannabis-related products for regulatory and compliance reporting requirements. Our Dispensary Point of Sale and inventory management system provides comprehensive seed-to-sale cannabis tracking with a focus on compliant data points. If your state requires seed-to-sale systems to stay compliant, BioTrackTHC has you covered. Our system is customized to meet the unique regulatory frameworks in each and every state.
Click here for a list of Patient Centers